Monday, May 4, 2009

No sign of the thyme...


I was lucky enough to have a day off today and it has been gorgeous. I have been bouncing around different parts of the garden, seeing a plant coming up here, mourning another eaten by the bunnies, and just enjoying the day outside. It does seem like the thyme, which I thought was a perennial, is dead. Same goes for the oregano, but the area still smells wonderful.

Cannas will be appearing in the garden for the first time, at the suggestion of a gardening friend who told me about Horn Canna Farm. A couple of the most interesting varieties I'm trying are 'Pretoria' with a striped green/chartreuse yellow leaf, and 'Wyoming' with a burgundy foliage. Those just went in the ground today and after my break, I'm headed out to plant some Gladiolus and Liatris. We are expecting some rain later in the week, so it's always good to take advantage of the free water.

It feels like I have already pulled out a couple of bushels of dandelions and creeping charlie - I don't think that battle will ever end.

No comments: