Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The golden time of year

This past 5 days or so, I've had a hard time concentrating on anything but the garden. I have been so busy with work and other commitments, but my mind always goes back to the garden. Specifically I'm concentrating on what will go in containers, getting the first mowing accomplished, and on dandelions!

The best parts about gardening in this time of the year are that the days are getting longer - I'm able to stay outside until after 8PM - and there are no mosquitoes or gnats out yet. An added bonus is that the weather is perfect for working outside, it's warm enough to be out with just a sweatshirt, and regardless of the work, it is hard to work up a sweat. In fact, the only downside is the dandelions.

Right now, they are blooming like crazy, and for some reason last Friday, I decided to start picking the flowers off to prevent them from going to seed. I have a couple of sections in my garden that seem to be magnets for the seed and I'm constantly digging them out. It is now Tuesday night, and I have removed 1,000's of flowers, and at least several hundred plants. Will they come back from whatever little piece of root is still left, or have I taken care of some of them for good? Who knows; time will tell.

No comments: